Old 03-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Brian

Default Suggestions for ugly evergreens?

They look very much like Taxus baccata Fastigiata. Irish Yew. These can be
cut back as severely as you wish and will quickly re-grow and thicken to any
shape you wish. They make excellent specimens for topiary. These were the
Yews that provided the 'Long bow' of history.
You will find the wood very hard to cut.
Best Wishes Brian.

"SugarChile" wrote in message
Cut them down. They are seriously overgrown, and trimming is not a good
option. If they are yews, you *could* trim them on one side severely,

wait
till it fill in a bit, trim the other side, but it would take years to get
them looking good. If they are anything other than yews, severe trimming
will most likely finish them off.

It may seem harsh and drastic, but believe me, you will feel a sense of
relief once they are out of there and you can replace them with more
appropriate choices. Don't spend years living with the past homeowner's
mistakes.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

". com" rotaour@dimensional wrote in message
Hello,

I recently bought my first house and have two evergreen trees on the
front corners of the house that dont look so great. I dont think
they've been trimmed for some time and was wondering if some of you
would give me some suggestions. What would you do with them?

Pictures -
http://www.dimensional.com/~rotaour/

Thanks,
Matt