Old 03-05-2004, 07:03 PM
GFRfan

Default Proper grass height.

wrote:
On Mon, 03 May 2004 16:21:17 GMT, GFRfan wrote:

wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Today is Monday, I mowed on Friday, and everyone else around me mowed
in the last 3 days also. My yard looks overgrown compared to my
neighbors already. Am I mowing too high?

Types of grass: blue grass, Tall Fescue, and perenial rye.

I cut at 3" to 3-1/2"

Thanks for the feedback, please post your replies here.

later,

tom

*********************************************** ****
http://www.Intertainia.com
*********************************************** ****

I don't know where you are or how short your neighbors cut their lawn
but for an answer, in July, look at your lawn and then look at your
neighbors lawn. That will be your answer. I'm betting yours will look a
lot healthier. Most people cut their lawn way too short and then rely on
chemicals to control weeds. With the longer lawn, you smother most weeds
and shade the ground, which also helps keep the roots cooler and
conserves moisture. 2" is my minimum but 3" to 3 1/2" is not
unreasonable in my area.

Thx for the quick reply. I'm in eastern Pa. My next door neighbor
goes down to the point the grass is white. My other neighbors appear
to go to 2"

My law also looks like a bad hair transfer if you go down to the dirt
level, there are many little bald spots. Does taller grass cause the
grass to use the extra enegy to spread sideways?

thanks,

tom

Are you fertilizing? How long has the lawn been there? Do you have a lot
of thatch? How long has it been since you aerated? Taller grass does
encourage lateral growth of the roots which will fill in most bare spots
unless you have a lot of thatch.

--
Yard and Garden Handyman