Old 03-05-2004, 08:02 PM
flicker

Default Suggestions for ugly evergreens?

From: rotaour@dimensional (.)com

What would you do with them?

Congratulations on your new home.

If they are yews, you could drastically cut them down to the ground, but yes,
you'd have to be a bit patient for them to grow back. The foliage looks a bit
airy; it's possible they are old junipers or arborvitaes that have been
continually sheared. I don't know what they do when you cut them to the
ground.

I would enjoy the hack to the ground experiment to see if regrowth occurs. If
they renew, great, if not, then since they're on the corners of the house, I
think I would remove them and expand and round the beds to 'wrap' the corners
of the house more. Then I would plant a mix of small ornamental trees,
deciduous and evergreen shrubs, and perennials/annuals/bulbs.

~flick