Old 03-05-2004, 09:04 PM
Joe Farrugia

Default CAMELIAS again

Message from , David Hill
on Fri, 30 Apr 2004: &t:
Can anyone tell me how to succeed with camellia cuttings, they are one of
the few plants that seem to defy all my attempts at propagation.

I succeeded with leaf cuttings. The strips were horizontal across the
leaf, about two inches wide. I inserted one side, about an inch deep,
into regular ericaceous compost and kept them in a heated propagator.
Of the four cuttings two browned after a few months but the other two
sent up a shoot about one or two years after potting. One plantlet
eventually died, the other is now a single whip about 16 inches high, it
must be about four or five years old and bore its first two (full size)
flowers this spring. It is still in ericaceous compost in a five-inch
pot.

Cheers, Joe
--
J M Farrugia