Old 03-05-2004, 09:05 PM
Mike Lyle

Default uses for grass cuttings (long)

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message ...
"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 240.12...
"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in
:

So if your garden is reasonably large, and you don't have the time (or
the gardener) to maintain large borders, and you don't have the desire
(or the money) for large scale 'hard landscaping' then you may well
end up with a garden which is mostly lawn, and which can produce
mowings faster than the borders can consume them.

You could choose to have more shrubbery and less lawn. Shrubs need less
care than lawns, I find, and shrubs can absorb a lot of cuttings.

From time to time you do need to cut the shrubs back, but not as often as
lawnmowing, shredding is more fun than mowing, and if you layer the grass
cuttings with shreddings they don't go green slime on you.

Victoria

A logical solution :-)

However I like my large lawn.

I guess the OP and myself are seeking a solution which does not involve
reducing the size of the lawn just to make it easier to dispose of the
clippings.

Cheers
Dave R

P.S. to take this to the logical conclusion; "just keep reducing the size of
the lawn until the problem goes away" is a solution but not perhaps the one
we are seeking

So you like your large lawn. I'm not even hinting at trying to dictate
to you what you want in your own garden, but when I discuss designs I
ask questions like "Have you thought about _why_ you like it?"

Is it because it looks nice, or is it because the family use it for
clock-golf, boules, football, French cricket, sun-bathing, and
generally messing about? If it's because it looks nice, (and that
could include displaying some large specimen trees, or statues, or the
house itself to the best advantage) that's just as good a reason as
any other for keeping it; but if keeping it commits you to a price you
don't like paying (such as getting rid of the mowings), why not at
least consider the alternatives?

Maybe it's just too big for the purposes you use it for; maybe the
family have grown up, or maybe you don't practise your putting or
fly-casting any more. So what would you get in return for reducing the
size? A pond, a spectacular fountain, or some winding walks through
flowering shrubs and bulbs? A beautiful summer-house? A bird
sanctuary? A fascinating knot-garden or maze? A traditional potager? A
beautiful walled suntrap with weathered stone paving, peach and fig
trees, and a standard wistaria on an umbrella support in the middle? A
minimal oriental meditation garden? Heck, a small vineyard, or
orchard? Would you enjoy any of those as much as a big lawn? Maybe
you'd enjoy one or more of them _more_.

This is just wondering, of course. But if the mowings are feeling like
a problem, maybe it's time to consider getting rid of the problem at
source instead of at the big end. Your garden should be fun, not a
burden.

Mike.