Old 03-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Laura J

Default plantings around bulbs?

Thanks for the suggestion. Luckily, I live in the middle of the city so
deer shouldn't be a problem for me Skunks, yes, squirrels, yes, but not
deer.

LauraJ

"vsiddali" wrote in message
om...
I have ordered Asiatic lilies from catalogues which are expensive -
like I must have paid $2.99/bulb. This year I bought them from COSTCO
12 bulbs for $10 something. Which I thought was good price. There
were others about 18 bulbs for the same price I think.

They are absolutely gargeous and come year after year with not much of
maintainance. But I do get disappointed when the brach that is full
of buds gets eaten by the deers.

"Laura J" wrote in message

Thanks everyone! I ended up getting a couple of daylillies and can't

wait
until they bloom. Even just the foliage looks nice. I just picked up
whatever they had at the closest garden center (an orange Stella

something
and a yellow one I can't remember the name of) since I had to get them

in
quickly. When is the best time to plant them? I'd like to do some more
research as to the best types for my area and get a couple more. Can I
plant them from bulbs (the plants were a little on the expensive side)?

Are
there any mail-order sources you'd recommend?

I went to the garden center before I got your note, Kay, but happened to
pick up some alyssum because I thought they looked nice so glad to see

they
were a recommendation! Next year I'll do them from seed.

Thanks again for all your help!

Cheers,
Laura

"Kay Lancaster" wrote in message
spaced, please let me know! I'm in Boston, zone 6a (I think) and

the
area
is on the southeast side of the house so should get a fair bit of

sun.

One of my standard cheap sun annual groundcovers is sweet alyssum,

from
seed.
In the long term, I like mixtures of perennials, with annual fill-ins,
and groundcovers like candytuft, creeping phlox, but away from

building
foundations, not plastered right up on the sides.

Remember to keep wood mulches well away from wood siding and such
in termite and carpenter ant country.
http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entom...ruct/ef605.htm

Kay