Old 03-05-2004, 10:09 PM
shazzbat

Default Shaded greenhouse

"Shirl" wrote in message
Hello

I have only one place that I can put a greenhouse in my garden, however

its
in the shade for most of the time. I live in the midlands and its been
lovely and sunny today, however I think I had about half an hour the whole
day when the sun actually managed to shine onto the greenhouse :-/

Im hoping this will change as the sun gets higher in the sky but is it
possible to get good growth in shaded conditions or should I just give it
up? I've got tomatoes, lettuce, spring onions etc in there as from
Saturday. I had the plants growing nicely in my house until then but
decided that the greenhouse must be better than the limited sun that comes
in through a window.

I dont have anywhere outside the greenhouse to plant my veggies either so
its shady greenhouse or back to buying from Tesco.

Any thoughts welcome

The primary function of a greenhouse is to protect your plants/seedlings
from frost/heavy rain/wind. Seems to me like a shaded one will do that, with
the added bonus of not needing to shade it in summer.

I've said it before and I'll say it again- a greenhouse anywhere is better
than no greenhouse.

Of course if what it's shaded by is trees, you're going to have to watch out
for twigs/branches/conkers or whatever falling off the trees.

Steve