Old 04-05-2004, 04:02 AM
SugarChile

Default Butterfly Bush - Alive?

I'm also PA, zone 6. I have one that I trim to almost the ground; it is
just now starting to send up new shoots. Another that I wait until spring
to trim is leafing out quite a bit.

The winter is not usually a problem for them, unless you have one of the
yellow cultivars. I've found that they are not as hardy as the purples and
the whites.

I'd give it a bit more time before writing it off.

Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

"styxx374" wrote in message
I live in Pennsylvania, zone 6. I bought a purple butterfly bush last May.
We cut it back in the fall, so right now it stands about 3-4 feet. It is
planted about 10-15 feet from our house on the east side in a 6"raised

bed.
As of today, May 2, it still has not shown any buds. It is my

understanding
that butterfly bushes are late in "waking up," but I am concerned that it
didn't make it through our cold winter.

Does anyone have any pointers or suggestions?

Jennifer