Old 04-05-2004, 09:02 AM
jane

Default allotments available

On Mon, 3 May 2004 21:38:28 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

~In article , jane
writes
~On Sun, 2 May 2004 11:25:14 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:
~
~~Here in Amersham only three or four plots are now being worked on avery
~~pleasant allotment site off Woodside road.
~~If anyone wants to start growing their own fruit and veg or whatever
~~then they ought to apply to the Town Council and they'll find they have
~~a pick of the free sites!
~~It's well bordered by houses and isn't in a particularly vandal crazed
~~area and has its own hut and supplies so do apply if only so that the
~~site isn't sold off as under used.
~~For some reason the free sites aren't widely advertised in the local
~~press or paper!
~
~Hi Janet
~Is this the site which has a public footpath running through it?
~
~Not it can't be, one side is the railway embankment and there's nowhere
~to cross! Are you thinking of the one down rectory hill which does have
~a footpath through it and is quite close to the main road. This one is
~next to the cricket ground behind the houses on Woodside road and I know
~the people at the allotments and I ma sure there isn't a waiting list.
~

Odd. Wonder why they said there was? shrug

Half our problems are because the vacant plots have, almost without
exception, been vacant for years and are therefore solid grass. People
take one look and run. I guess I didn't help when I bagged a second
half plot which had only just been given up. (Darn thing's covered
with groundsel even so). We keep begging the council to send in a
tractor and plough the vacants but as usual the cost gets them.

But then again, after a few years of fallow, the vacant ones won't
have any lingering chemicals and will probably be perfect for organic
growing.

Now if it would just stop raining...

--
jane