Old 04-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Franz Heymann

Default Controlling moss

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
Joe McElvenney wrote in message

Hi,

I have trouble with too much moss on some of my garden
walls and parts of the drive. I would like to control it
rather than eliminate it entirely as to me it has a certain
rustic charm when in the right place and quantity.

It's lovely: if that's what nature wants to do, I'd say let it, and
give praise for a beautiful background.

Gardening is all about bending nature to do what you approve of.
If, like mine, your garden is totally overrun with moss on all walls
and beds every season, you, too, would feel less benign towards it.

Is there a preparation that will keep it down without
seeing it off entirely? Currently I wait for a couple of
dry days (just like now) take the yard brush to it and then
hose the area down. When I can get round to it, the drive
will be re-concreted and then that part of the problem will
be history.

I reckon history will repeat itself (as farce, of course)! If it's

the
habitat for moss, then moss you will have. Physical brushing off is

as
good as you can do, really; I loved the mossy look of a side yard,

but
one day when we were selling, my boy attacked it with shovel and
yard-broom, and a whole compost-heap later I had to admit it did

look
more organised (and strangely bigger: like mowing a lawn). One
control, as for green slime, is cheap dairy hypochlorite (aka

bleach)
from the nearest farmers' supplier. Dilute about ten to one, and

wear
the oldest clothes and Marigolds (butch versions of these also from
the farmers'place); but I wouldn't bother, left to myself. The
25-litre squarish 'cans' saw in half to a nice size for tomatoes as

bonus, or you can cut just the bottoms off and use them to bring
rhubarb on.

Mike.