Old 04-05-2004, 10:12 AM
BAC

Default Should I dead-head Pieris?

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from Cuvapu contains these words:

I'd be grateful for advice, please. Is it better for the health of a
Pieris
to lop off its flower heads after the shrub has flowered, or to leave

them
alone?

I just leave them on. Our pieris are smothered in brilliant new growth
this year, a real picture. I don't know if that's due to a warm summer
last year, or their new diet of seaweed and dogpooh :-}

Ours has been brilliant, too, but without the benefit of seaweed or (much)
dogpoo, so I guess it was last year's summer. I don't dead head pieris,
either, so can't say whether it is advantageous to do so, but they seem to
manage fine without it.