Old 04-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Sacha

Default Should I dead-head Pieris?

BAC4/5/04 9:44

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from Cuvapu contains these words:

I'd be grateful for advice, please. Is it better for the health of a
Pieris
to lop off its flower heads after the shrub has flowered, or to leave

them
alone?

I just leave them on. Our pieris are smothered in brilliant new growth
this year, a real picture. I don't know if that's due to a warm summer
last year, or their new diet of seaweed and dogpooh :-}

Ours has been brilliant, too, but without the benefit of seaweed or (much)
dogpoo, so I guess it was last year's summer. I don't dead head pieris,
either, so can't say whether it is advantageous to do so, but they seem to
manage fine without it.

We don't deadhead ours, either and they're glowing away down at the bottom
of the garden looking quite wonderful.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk