Old 04-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Peter

Default Leaf mulch

I'd like to say a big "Thank You" to all who responded. (Sorry it took so long,
the computer system was overwhemed with all the microsoft patches and
nothing worked outside of the operating system).

Lots of good information, and different veiwpoints / methods of turning
the leaves into mold. I have plenty of leaves but few places to store them
for any period of time... so many of the suggestions will be put to use this
coming fall and hopefully, there will be a lot of good organic material to
be added to the garden beds each year.

Thanks again for taking the time to help out a fellow gardener...

Peter

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:51:38 -0400, Peter wrote:

some time back around December, a few posters were extolling the virtues of leaf mulch.
One person (paghat, I think it was) mentioned putting the leafs into a chicken wire
enclosure and keeping them wet, claiming that they would break down in a few months
into leaf mulch.

Well, I went into the chicken wire enclosure, and found piles of wet leaves and no
leaf mulch. Doesn't look like anything happened at all over the past few months.
Packed about 40 bags of dead leaves and dropped them off at the landfill.

So, what is the secret??? Obviously getting leaf mulch from leaves seems to be more
of an involved process than just stacking the leaves, keeping them wet and turning
every now and then.

Anyone know???

Thanks !!!

Peter