Old 04-05-2004, 03:05 PM
Vox Humana

Default Suggestions for ugly evergreens?

". com" rotaour@dimensional wrote in message
Hello,

I recently bought my first house and have two evergreen trees on the
front corners of the house that dont look so great. I dont think
they've been trimmed for some time and was wondering if some of you
would give me some suggestions. What would you do with them?

Pictures - http://www.dimensional.com/~rotaour/

Since you don't like them, I would first trim them to the size you want. If
they live, then you have a couple of more desirable plants. If they don't,
you can remove them without any regrets. My guess is that you will end up
having to remove them. In the mean time, browse your local nurseries to see
what is available to replace them. You might consider just removing them
without any replacement in the short run. I think it would improve the look
of your house if they were removed. In fact, I would remove all the shrubs,
not just the tall ones. I think it would look better if you worked some
curves into the landscape plan. Your house is very angular and would
benefit from some sweeping curves to soften the lines. There is a
disconnect between the house and the street that could be bridged by
redesigning the beds. This would make your house look more inviting. Your
front door is hard to find and would benefit by being better defined. A
curving walk from the street to the door would draw attention away from the
garage door which is dominating the front of your house. I might make the
garage door a little darker and the front door lighter. Maybe its just the
picture, but the awning or porch roof over the front door looks like it is
floating and would benefit from making the supports more apparent. This
could be by painting the supports, attaching something like lattice or
replacing them with more substantial columns. I would also consider adding
some visual weight to the side of your property opposite of your garage.
There is a lot going on in the garage area (garage door, front door,
windows, awnings) and nothing on the other end. This gives one side of the
house a lot of visual weight and makes it look unbalanced. Putting in a
tall specimen plant somewhat away from the house on the right side would
help balance it and would be an anchor for a new bed on that side.