Old 04-05-2004, 03:55 PM
dommy dommy is offline
Registered User

Location: London
Default tomato weather question

Quote:
Originally posted by Hillary Israeli
In ,
simy1 wrote:

(Hillary Israeli) wrote in message ...
*

Say I have some tomato plants and I divide them into two groups. These are
all the same type of plant and all sprouted at the same time. One group I
put outside after the last frost, but when evening temps are still dipping
into the low 40s or even high 30s. Another group I keep inside for another
month or six weeks, until the evening temps are always in the 50s. Are you
saying that the group one tomatoes will produce their crop later than the
group two tomatoes? Or when you say they "slow down," do you mean that
they will just not do much until it is warmer outside?

Hi there,

I have a very similar scenario as you have described.

I grew my tomatoes from seed indoors and then put them outdoors once they had germinated. ( only two leafs though)

Temperatures outside were still cold so I bought only half of them indoors again due to space not being available.

Indoor temperature in my room has been a constant 18 - 22 degrees most of the time. The tomatoes indoors are now two inches high.

However the tomatoes outdoors, where the temperature has been varying from lows of 8 degrees to highs of 21 degress odd (mostly staying low though) are still the about the same height as they were when I put them out a few weeks back.

They are not however dead, they have just slowed down I think. I recently put a plastic box over them and they have now started to grow again. The true leaves are begining to emerge now as the glass must have raised the temperatures.