Old 04-05-2004, 04:10 PM
Raleighgirl

Default Signs of spring

"Dave Filpus" wrote in message
| In article
. net,
wrote:

| The iris are gorgeous and plentiful
|
| Back in 1992, I planted a row of giant bearded irises from
Schreiner's
| in Salem Oregon at the base of a row of Bradford pears. I
thought that
| the shade would help. After a couple of years of blooming, they
all
| stopped blooming. I always planned to build a new iris plot in
the sun,
| but never got around to it. Now came the ice storm of December
2002 and
| the Bradford was delimbed and eventually cut down. This spring
the
| irises are in bloom and are just beautiful. Pictures at
| http://sine.tmug.org/~dfilpus/Pictures/Iris1.jpg
| http://sine.tmug.org/~dfilpus/Pictures/Iris2.jpg
|
| Now I looking at the Schreiner's catalog and seeing what I want
add to
| the plot this year.

Great pics! Those are two of my favorite varieties, too. This
must be a good year for irises as several that are in my "dead
bed" are blooming for the first time in the 4 years we've been
here. One we've called Big Blue. Damned biggest iris I've ever
seen! A lovely creamy yellow one, too. Anyone that wants some
irises, come and get them. I can't tell you what colors they
are, only that they are hardy as all get out. In the last two
years, I've tried to pull them all out at least 3 times but yet
they keep coming back. Unfortunately, they're just not in a
place that gets enough sun for them to bloom.
Jenny