Old 04-05-2004, 04:10 PM
Vicky

Default Woodlice in Pots

" I have just emptied out some pots in which I had spring flowering plants,
(daffodils and primula). I found lots of woodlice in the compost. Do these
woodlice damage the plants? Do they eat the roots? Is it safe to use the
compost in the garden?

Your help would be appreciated.

Les

Not an answer but adding to the query. I am overrun with the little
b*ggers and they have a lovely habit of eating things so that you don't
realise they've done it. I had a load of strawbs and mange tout once and
they ate them from behind. Didn't notice until I'd grabbed them first -
euggh!

I use nippon to good effect to stop them coming in my house and, contrary to
popular belief - or at least advice I've had in the past - they do cause
damage in some things as above. Perhaps this around pots would help. I did
consider sprinkling some under my newly established growbags but, looking
out at today's horizontal rain, that would have been a waste of time.

However, the waterbuts I moved at the w/e are now full again! Water not
woodies!

BTW the Isle of Wight has a unique species of soft-bodied woodlice and did
you know that there are several different species? Anorak points for the
day I think :-)

Vicky