Old 04-05-2004, 05:04 PM
Chris Jung

Default unhappy bee balms - where to replant?

Hi,
In the past three years since we bought our house I've been experimenting
with different plantings here and there. Our lot is mostly shady (varies
from dappled to deep shade) with a few areas that get steady sun for about 5
to 6 hours. I made up my "sunny" flower garden in one spot that gets about 6
hours of sun (from 9 to 3:45). Most of the stuff I planted there (foxglove,
sweet William, daylilies, clematis) are doing well except for the bee balm I
planted two years ago. It's growing (and spreading) but it gets powdery
mildew every summer which ruins most the flowers. I think I've read that
bee balm likes to be in a moist spot and that powdery mildew is a sign that
it's being kept in a too dry location. Sort of opposite of what I had
thought. I would rather have plants that didn't need special treatments to
stay healthy so it's either transplant the bee balm to a better location or
just rip it out.

I do have some spots that are nearly always moist (along a ditch which has
running water all year unless we have a drought) and along the length it
varies from dappled shade to 6-7 hours sun. So if I was to transplant my bee
balm, where should I put it?

Chris in Lovely Ithaca NY, zone 5 I believe