Old 04-05-2004, 05:16 PM
Vicky

Default Woodlice in Pots

I think the popular belief is that they *do* cause damage. And you're

right
of course, popular belief is more or less wrong.
Just because you get woodlice on damaged plants in no way means that they
cause the damage. I'm sure if you look constantly that they don't cause
much, if any new damage to your strawbs. They were probably bruised or
eaten by slugs first, then the woodies moved in.

I'll keep an eye out this year and see if you're right! If so, I shall
publicly vindicate the woodies!

BTW the Isle of Wight has a unique species of soft-bodied woodlice

I didn't know that. All the more reason not to kill them.

Trust me - they are far from endangered here. In fact, they are under
everything in my garden and my neighbour has been thoroughly raided to the
point that they are under all her living room furniture. Hence I feel not
the slightest bit of guilt at scattering nippon all over the edging under
the carpet by my front and back doors. It seems to do the trick.

My son used to eat them when he was a toddler - this was prior to the nippon
introduction BTW!

Vicky - looking forward to the earwig invasion shortly - not!