Old 04-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Hillary Israeli

Default tomato weather question

In fc.003d094101c479d23b9aca00e4116b80.1c47a10@pmug. org,
Glenna Rose wrote:

*I plant both early and late. Whether the tomato plants set out earlier
*bear significantly better (two or more weeks) is totally dependent on the
*weather as well as soil conditions, water and sunshine. There is a

Well that makes sense

*guideline I heard several years ago - by June 1st, you cannot tell which
*plants were set out in March, April or May. Though mine go into the
*garden in various sizes and at various times, that guideline seems to
*pretty much bear out.

THAT is the kind of answer I was hoping for!
I'm one of those people who just can't help herself with the early
planting. I know it's not what I'm "supposed" to do, but I keep doing it.
I was just wondering if I were truly crippling my plants or if it would
all come out in the wash. I've never actually planted "on time," always
early!

* *Tomatoes are warm weather plants, in that they bear better in warmer
*weather. I've helped mine along with the grass mulch (put on right out of

Right. Well, we do certainly have PLENTY of warm summer weather here in
the Philadelphia area (I'm in a slightly north/west suburb, but literally
within walking distance of the edge of the city), just not yet

*the mower bag) which keeps the soil warm as it decomposes. The difference
*I see in the plants is the mulch, not the air temperature, as the mulch
*keeps the ground warmer which helps root growth hence soil nutrient uptake
*and water uptake. The soil temperature seems more important in my own
*garden than air temperature though both certainly matter. Year after year,

Well, I do do all of my veggie planting in raised beds, which I'm sure
makes some difference as well. Anyway thank you for the reply!

-h.