Old 04-05-2004, 07:05 PM
GloFish

Default Diatom Filter or H.O.T. Magnum

On Tue, 4 May 2004 10:05:44 -0500, "Rick"
wrote:

"TR" wrote in message
nk.net...
"Randy Ocano" wrote in message
I've been using a HOT Magnum for years for just polishing.The micron
cartridge generally does a good job but on rare occasions I charge it
with diatom powder. I doubt if Marineland recommends this or if it
would void your warranty but it seemed to work fine. Haven't touched
either of my vortex filters since I've started using the HOT Magnum.
To charge the filter you'll need two input tubes, one for the input
and the other for the output. Place the filter in the tank and
submerge a small plastic pitcher and bring it up with the input and
exhaust tubes in it. I then slowly dump a cup of diatom powder in it.

Just received my HOT Magnum yesterday. Marineland now includes an
instruction sheet for charging and using the micron filter with diatom
powder. So I woudn't think there will be any warranty issues :-)
Instuctions are basically as you describe.

Interesting, I just picked up my 3rd H.O.T Magnum yesterday to replace the
2nd one that would not seal properly. There is absolutely nothing in the
instructions of mine to tell you how to use it with diatom powder.

Rick

I just got a stand-alone canister Magnum 350, and there is nothing in
there about it either.

After reading the previous posting, I also visited MarinLand's
website, and their downloadable manual doesn't contain the
instructions, either.

FWIW....

--Tony