Old 04-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Default unhappy bee balms - where to replant?

I don't worry to much about the mildew - yes, it strikes, but I don't let it
make me crazy.
BUT - I don't lose mine, I have a many year old planting of Blue Stocking
that is still going strong!
Cheryl

On 5/4/04 12:23 PM, in article , "Sue"
wrote:

Chris, IMHO Bee Balm will mildew no matter what steps I take. Full sun,
part sun, wet, dry-- doesn't seem to matter. I've had most every
color/cultivar thats come down the pipeline, nnd its all petered out in a
short time period, a couple of years is the most I seem to get from any
planting I've ever done.

Just a few days ago I found a small clump of new Bee Balm sprouts beside the
Garage in a place that used to be a dumping ground for spent plants from a
temporary greenhouse. Hope Springs Eternal, yannow ( lol) so I transplanted
the clump to a newly dug bed, afternoon sun. We'll see what happens.

Not much help, I know ( and sorry for that) but I thought you might
appreciate some commiseration, ;-).

I'm in the Western Maine foothills where it was 80 on Sunday, snow squalls
today, Z 5 also.

Sue

--
Breeze ( sue burnham)
"Chris Jung" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,
In the past three years since we bought our house I've been experimenting
with different plantings here and there. Our lot is mostly shady (varies
from dappled to deep shade) with a few areas that get steady sun for about

5
to 6 hours. I made up my "sunny" flower garden in one spot that gets about

6
hours of sun (from 9 to 3:45). Most of the stuff I planted there

(foxglove,
sweet William, daylilies, clematis) are doing well except for the bee balm

planted two years ago. It's growing (and spreading) but it gets powdery
mildew every summer which ruins most the flowers. I think I've read that
bee balm likes to be in a moist spot and that powdery mildew is a sign

that
it's being kept in a too dry location. Sort of opposite of what I had
thought. I would rather have plants that didn't need special treatments to
stay healthy so it's either transplant the bee balm to a better location

or
just rip it out.

I do have some spots that are nearly always moist (along a ditch which has
running water all year unless we have a drought) and along the length it
varies from dappled shade to 6-7 hours sun. So if I was to transplant my

bee
balm, where should I put it?

Chris in Lovely Ithaca NY, zone 5 I believe