Old 04-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Salty Thumb

Default Any New Earwig Advice?

(Fleemo) wrote in news:79a519dd.0405040947.270b90b4
@posting.google.com:

Thanks to everyone for their input. I do appreciate it.

Last year I tried several different trapping techniques, from the
corregated cardboard to the section of tubing to the oil-filled tuna
cans. I think the earwigs have been reading this newsgroup, cuz they
knew better than to fall for any of those tricks. I may have snagged
one or two at most. So far, nocturnal trips around the garden
knocking the pesky pests into a pail of soapy water has been the only
technique that's worked for this exasperated gardener. But perhaps
trapping is worth another shot.

Thanks.

-F

Do you have a moisture problem or something? One year I had a lot of damp
depressions (not enough to be standing water, just perpetually wet) around
the house. Around that time, the earwigs were partying like it was 1999
(and it was 2000-something). Anywhere you'd find an undisturbed crevice,
disturb it, and out would pop several earwigs. Anywhere, you name it,
under stuff on the lawn, in the corners of a couple of metal sawhorses, at
the top of a 10' portable basketball post (no kidding). I once took a
snooze on the patio, woke up, shoke my head and about 20 earwigs came
flying out. (okay, I am kidding about that.) Anyway I filled the
depressions with some topsoil from a store (I suppose this is where 0%
organic matter topsoil is useful) and must have had at least a 95%
reduction in the earwig population. I still see them occasionally, but
they are no longer everywhere.