Old 05-05-2004, 12:02 AM
Liashi

Default Planted potatoes early, they still haven't sprouted.

Hi all,

Well some potatoes that we had were going bad so we cut them up, with
a few eyes per piece. We planted them kinda early, and they haven't
sprouted. However, some bulbs which I planted a few weeks ago have
already sprouted.

There may be lots of clay soil in our garden but we've put in lots of
clay cutter, fertilizer, lime, etc., in it and the soil is way better
than last year . . . and last year we grew tons of zucchini and squash
(They shot up REALLY fast. My Dad had dumped all the fertilizer we had
into that garden because he was desperate to get the clay broken up!
O.O)

And yet . . . the potatoes are a no show. Did I plant them too early?
Too deep? (I dug around in the garden today but couldn't find pieces
of potato.) Or is/was the soil to damp? The garden is at the bottom of
a hill, so a lot of it is always damp. Not to mention there were cold
snaps after I planted and it's been a wet spring. Could they have
rotted?

Well, any thoughts/advice you guys have would be helpful. Thanks!