Old 05-05-2004, 01:03 AM
David J Bockman

Default Proper soil for planting cherry/pear trees

Hi Ron,

In broad terms, MAWD. Moist, slightly acidic, well-drained. If thery're
going in the ground, pick a spot in full sun with ample drainage, and amend
well (I would amend liberally with oakleaf mold, if they were mine, and in
my soil conditions, for example.

Dave

"Ron Wood" wrote in message
om...
I just bought potted Bing Cherry and Asian Dwarf Pear trees (both
about 5 feet tall). The kids in the garden center had no clue at what
type of soil is best. I just know that if I just plant in regular top
soil mix, they will die (as did other trees I tried to plant). Can
someone please tell me the correct top soil/peat moss/etc ratios. (I
know about the good drainage needs already).

Thanks a lot,
Ron