Old 05-05-2004, 03:02 AM
Cinnamon

Default Councils and allotments

If it makes you feel any better, while we don't have your specific
problem here in most of the United States, our 'leaders' rarely listen
to us either. Well, I should say they listen, because they have to,
but most of the time they don't HEAR what we are saying.

My cousin lives in a community that was surrounded by woods. A
development company moved in and because they want to start a 'housing
community' it meant that my cousin and everyone on his street and many
of the streets connected to the little suburb would be adversely
affected and have to have to sewers replaced etc... at the expense of
himself and his neighbors. His neighborhood council banded together
and they voted no to the proposed changes THREE times.

In the end, the developer wound up getting his way and because of that
each home owner in my cousins neighborhood has been levied an
assuagement of anywhere from 17-25k depending on how far the house is
from the sewer and water lines being put in to the street.

Anyway.. thought I'd share. It's the same situation on a parallel....
just different specifics.

Cinnamon

Jan wrote in message ...
Hello all,
Barnet council (cons), whom I deplore for many reasons, have just
announced an unbelievable increase in rent for all our allotments with
double rent for non-residents. This is another measure they are
employing to get the land to sell to property developers as it is at a
premium in this borough.
We also have quite a few non-residents who live in inner city areas with
no gardens or allotments, or even green areas. They bring their
children and teach them about growing and working as a community. They
even bring custom to our shops and other services. This will deter them
as travail is already expensive for them and so we will have empty
plots.

Please can anyone with an allotment in London let me know how much rent
you are paying as their excuse is that they are trying to bring us in
line with other London areas.

Also (all allotment holders in England) if this kind of harassment has
been experienced by you what did you do?

There is a high court ruling which says that allotment rents can only be
raised by the same proportion as other council rec facilities but they
are ignoring this as they ignore any kind of feedback or consultation
from the people of this borough. We will go to court if need be.
Hopefully we can get them voted out next election (but then will that
change this land problem anyway!)

Many thanks in anticipation.