Old 05-05-2004, 03:02 AM
Janice

Default Horseradish

On Mon, 03 May 2004 11:03:34 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:00:17 GMT, paulmoxon
wrote:

Can anyone tell me where to get hold of some horseradish plants/roots -
gold dust seems to be more available!!

I started mine from a chunk I bought in the supermarket's veg dept.

I don't remember where I got mine, but too .. probably from something
I got at the co-op, but I can tell you this.. do NOT plant it anywhere
you may someday not want it to be! If there is a hair root left, it
will come back!

I have put boards over it trying to kill it.. and eventually a piece
of it somehow managed to grow without light to the edge of the board,
no mean fete as it was a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood that wasn't any good
for anything in the construction world, so just put it on the ground
over the stuff and it's still here! A hefty bunch is coming up this
year, and I planted it maybe 20 years ago, and I never water it on
purpose. I decided I hate hot things. Saw an article a few years ago
in a Discover magazine that some folks have just a few of the
receptors for the "hot" in the various hot foods.. and some have scads
of them all over the tongue surface. As it said, something that a
person with a few receptors considered mildly pungent would likely
blow the top of the person's with lots of receptors head right through
the roof!! I am apparently one of those later folks as I don't like
HOT food. I can detect a 14-15 oz. can of "mexican tomato sauce"
which is "mild" in a 3 gallon pot of tomato sauce!

Janice