Old 05-05-2004, 05:05 AM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default rooting some vines?

Date: Fri, Apr 30, 2004 4:06 PM

Can vines like vinca, purple wintercreeper, ajuga, and English ivy be
rooted? If so, how? Can I just place cut-off stems in the soil?

My neighbor has some growing that need pruning, and I have an open shady
spot that could use cover.

Alan

When your neighbor does the pruning, he/she is bound to cut away areas that are
already rooted, since, for the vines, they root as soon as they touch
hospitable soil. If you can get the rooted parts, you'll be ahead. But it's
simple to just lay some cut vines on the soil, pin them down at the leaf nodes,
cover with a bit of soil and keep moist. The ajuga sends out new plantlets on
runners.....grab some of those and set in in the soil and keep moist. (Don't
expect extensive growth the first year.....but next year you'll see true
colonies.)

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7