Old 05-05-2004, 05:06 AM
profpam

Default fungus in flask

Once contamination sets in, it is best to compot or dispose of. Decontamination
requires submission to disinfectant substances, which may kill both the fungi
and the seedlings and phals are not the easiest to grow in vitro. So, compot
them in either spaghunum or a mixture of bark, perlite, and charcoal, or use
the s/h way of potting.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Kenni Judd wrote:

If you feel they are worth the investment, you could try to find a lab to
re-plate them. This is tough, most labs (understandably) don't want to work
on someone else's product, esp. if it's already in trouble. Failing that,
I'd take them out -- and discard the part with the fungus patch, or at least
clean and compot it separately (with a bit of margin so you don't
accidentally put fungus into the other compots)..

If the plants were shipped to you, there was probably a little opening
caused by changes in air pressure during travel, which let in the
contamination.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"Dustin " wrote in message ...
I have a flask of Phal. gibbosa that I just noticed a tiny white fuzzy
patch in. This is the first flask I have ever bought where I wasnt able
to open it up right away. I never opened it or disturbed it so I don't
know how it got contaminated.
The seedlings are not quite ready to come out yet, the leaves are only
about 1/2" long. I am pretty confident that I could take them out and
get them to live though. What should I do?

Dustin