Old 05-05-2004, 05:06 AM
V_coerulea

Default A few questions

I would guess the Catt to be some sort of C mossiae hybrid. Best guess but
may be way off. On the Cym, repotting is best done after blooming is done
and before new growth. Best doesn't mean only time. As with most garden
chores, best time is the time you have to do it. The cym definately needs
repotting. You could put the whole thing up larger or make 2 nice clumps.
Remove the oldest bulb if it's the least bit soft but retain any that are
firm. In the future, on a bigger plant, firm backbulbs may be removed for
starting new plants. Remove all the old medium along with old soft or dying
roots. I soak in Physan for 10 min before repotting and then treat any major
cuts with powdered sulfur. I've been experimenting with coir dust/ CHC/
sponge rock mix and find that the cyms respond very well to it under our
conditions here in SC. I'd put each of your new clumps in the same or one
size larger pot than what the plant is in now (6"?). They'll outgrow a 6"
very quickly unless it's a mini which your photo indicates it is not.
Gary

"Marc Riva" wrote in message
et.cable.rogers.com...
I'm not sure if it's a problem or not but I have a couple of plants that
have a few little beads of sticky clear fluid on new growth (on flower

buds
on the cattleya and new pseudobulbs on the dendrobium). I first thought of
aphids but there is no signs of the insects and the plants appear healthy.
See photos 01 to 03 at: www.riva.ca/orchids
I just got a cymbidium with the intention of splitting it into 2 clumps.
This will be my 1st orchid repotting. Should I do it now or wait to later

in
the season. There is a leafless pseudobulb and dead one at the center.
Should the leafless one be retained in one of the clumps? Photos 04 to 07.
Any idea as to parentage?
Finally I bought what seems to me to be some sort of bifoliate cattleya.

Any
idea as to what it is? (photos 08 to 10). Thanks for any input.
Marc