Old 05-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default tomato weather question

Hillary Israeli said:

Say I have some tomato plants and I divide them into two groups. These are
all the same type of plant and all sprouted at the same time. One group I
put outside after the last frost, but when evening temps are still dipping
into the low 40s or even high 30s. Another group I keep inside for another
month or six weeks, until the evening temps are always in the 50s. Are you
saying that the group one tomatoes will produce their crop later than the
group two tomatoes? Or when you say they "slow down," do you mean that
they will just not do much until it is warmer outside?

Assuming that the early group doesn't actually get damaged by frosts
(which have occured in my garden in the last half of May) they will not
bear any earlier than later planted tomatoes.

Personally, rushing them out has no gain with the potential for loss or
having to do a lot of extra fiddly work protecting them from frost. So
what's the advantage? I start my plants late enough indoors so I'm
not forced to rush them out, and set them out when it's warm enough
not to check their growth.

(attributed to Don Marti)