Old 05-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Ross Reid

Default Harvesting Garlic

"Loki" wrote:

il Tue, 4 May 2004 20:38:09 +1200, "Jeremy" ha scritto:

I not shore about your climate but the general rule of thumb for garlic is:
Sow on shortest day, Harvest on longest. (mid winter to mid summer).

Jeremy (in New Zealand)

"Taylors in Japan" wrote in message
I've been growing garlic in a window box planter since early last

September.
The climate is subtropical (Osaka, Japan.) I started with a clove in five
spots and now have five plants growing. My question is, when would they

be
ready to harvest? I've heard spring is ideal but just wanted to get other
opinions.

Harvest when the tops fall over. According my gardening guide.

Not a bad harvesting guide for onions but definitely wrong for garlic.
Garlic should be harvested when it still has at least five green
leaves remaining. These five green leaves turn into the paper wrappers
around the bulb. If you wait until the tops fall over there will be no
protection for the individual cloves.
Anyone really interested in growing garlic should seriously consider
purchasing a book entitled Growing Great Garlic by Ron L. Engeland.
No, I don't have any financial connection to the book.
Ross,
Ontario, Canada.
New AgCanada Zone 5b
43º19' North