Old 05-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Bus Driver

Default Harvesting Garlic

On Wed, 05 May 2004 13:13:57 GMT, Ross Reid wrote:

Not a bad harvesting guide for onions but definitely wrong for garlic.
Garlic should be harvested when it still has at least five green
leaves remaining. These five green leaves turn into the paper wrappers
around the bulb. If you wait until the tops fall over there will be no
protection for the individual cloves.
Anyone really interested in growing garlic should seriously consider
purchasing a book entitled Growing Great Garlic by Ron L. Engeland.
No, I don't have any financial connection to the book.
Ross,
Ontario, Canada.
New AgCanada Zone 5b
43º19' North
80º16' West

I agree.

The first couple years I grew garlic, I harvested using the "tops
down" criteria. I found the cloves to be seperated with soil in
between. I was harvesting too late, ususally around mid July.

I have an extraordinary crop this year. I estimate I'll be harvesting
late-May/early-June.

I was going to put a couple current photos on the web but I've
misplaced my camera.

I put the following on the web on 4-18.

http://users.megapath.net/~gletendre...c/DSC00040.JPG

http://users.megapath.net/~gletendre...c/DSC00039.JPG