Old 05-05-2004, 07:05 PM
RoyDMercer

Default Birch tree question

"Captain Ron" wrote in message
I have a spot in my back yard which has a white birch tree. The lower
portion of the tree is starting to grow leaves, but the upper portion has
none. Does this mean the tree is dying? Is there anything I can to save

the
tree? It is a young tree (about 10' tall) and in a area which has a good
ammount of moisture.

Your tree is almost certainly infected with an insect called the bronze
birch borer. You can apply insecticide to kill the insects and their larva,
but you may be too late if significant damage has occurred. If you have to
replant, and you're partial to birch, look for a variety that is resistant
to the insect.