Old 05-05-2004, 07:08 PM
tuin man

Default Do plants have brain?

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message eZ0mc.172$3s2.79@newsfe6-win
from "Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt"
contains these words:

HOLY SPIRIT (snip offtopic rant)

Funny, but I must have missed that bit.
That said, plants don't suffer from religion, so maybe they're smarter then
we give them credit for.

Slightly OT, I have been wondering about mankinds path from hunter gatherer
to grower/farmers.
Like, how long a period of time did that take?
What proccess was involved?
E.g., go into a GC and faced with a choice of seeds the non-gardener is
entirely dependant on the planting intructions on the back of the pack.
Back in the ancestrol days, plants, persumably, did not grow with
instructions attached. So what happened?
What did *we* do?
How did we make the leap from observing seed to growing new plant?
How much trial and error was involved and how long did all that take?
Did we simply try to copy nature by taking seed and replanting it elsewhere
in line with the seeding season?

Why OT you may ask. Well, because I sometimes think of the problems in the
middle east and wonder how long before we know how to grow peace... and I'm
not talking about a plant variety.
I notice an element of seanonality. Peace seeds get sown march-april but
seemingly wither away unproductively by mid august.
The season seems right, but the grounds have constantly proven unsuitable.
Perhaps its a typical gardeners perception to equate solutions via gardening
methods. It may well be a mistake. Afterall, perhaps the reason it took so
long to invent the wheel might have being because its use does not have a
fixed seaon.

This is a gardening newsgroup, kindly stop abusing it.

I hope I haven't strayed too far .

Patrick

Janet.