Old 05-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Robert

Default Using or composting horse manure in raised veggie beds

"Tim Nicholson" wrote in message
: Me again.......
:
: Since I feel like I'm on a bit of a roll with this newsgroup at
: present, here's another one for you. A neighbour has offered me some
: horse manure. Quite a lot of it, as it happens. As we're building some
: new raised vegetable beds, would it be OK to dump about a 4 - 6" deep
: layer in the bottom, which would then be covered by a mixture of
: topsoil and compost (about a further 10")
:
: The beds are going to be 20" high on the outside, and whilst some of
: the volume will be filled with the earth we removed to get the
: surrounding area level, I'm going to need rather a lot of soil/compost
: whatever to fill them. I'd be intending to cover these beds with a
: further 3" manure each autumn, allowing the worms to do their stuff
: over the winter (unless, of couse, we decide to overwinter veg in one
: of the beds). If I need to rot down the manure first, how long should
: I store it before using. I should probably mention that it doesn't
: have a high straw content, unlike some of the 'stable sweepings' that
: get passed off as horse manure these days.
:
: Cheers
:
: Tim
Great yes pile it on, the thicker the better. In a few years time you can
miss a dose of manure and lime it instead and watch the crops amaze you then
: