Old 05-05-2004, 08:15 PM
Tim Nicholson

Default Now we live 'up North'.....

On Tue, 4 May 2004 21:08:29 +0100, Janet Baraclough..
wrote:

Which bit of Ayrshire? Coastal fringe is milder than inland.

Irvine valley - just east of Kilmarnock, so 'reasonably' mild I'm
assured by other urglers! (I wonder what 'unreasonably' mild feels
like)

Chillies peppers and melons are strictly for the GH.
Garlic is hardy and will be fine outide. Courgettes need to be hardened
off, and planted outside after the last frost date. If you are well
inland, I wouldn't plant them out till June 5th.

With the first frost of winter arriving on June 8th, that doen't leave
a very long growing season - June 5th it is then....is that
folklore, a metoffice 'best guess' or phenological observation?

Outdoor tomatoes are a bit of a gamble in Scotland, see last frost
date. In a sunny garden, in a warm area, in a good summer, you might
succeed. I recommend you divide your plants and grow half outside and
half in the GH.

I think I'll probably only try two of each type of tomato outside, and
maybe one or two cucumbers. I'll contrast them with the GH ones,
mostly to plan next year's growing schedule. Hopefully we'll be ready
for anything by then! Got a bit of a late start this year.

Even in summer, you'll find west Scotland considerably windier than
darnsarth, and the prevailing wind is SW..bear that in mind for your
wall-cordons.

wall-cordons? what they then? Better have a quick google. Not come
across those before - told you I was a beginner.

Thanks for all the advice though Janet, it's *really* welcomed!

Tim