Old 05-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default Woodlice in Pots

The message
from "Vicky" contains these words:

Then do tell us what damage they are causing, and what they find to
eat in your house.

Janet.

I did think they were eating the fruit in the garden as I was ending up
grabbing handfuls of them when I picked strawberries a while back but now I
am on the look out for slugs as suggested in another posting to find out if
I have wrongly accused my resident woodies!

As for in the house, I am not aware of any damage at all.

Ah. I thought you had posted the following, which I read as implying
they did.

I use nippon to good effect to stop them coming in my house and,
contrary to popular belief - or at least advice I've had in the
past - they do
cause damage in some things as above.

They congregate
under my doormats outside and seem to like coming in when they see fit and
leave plenty of evidence of their presence with droppings. It's the sheer
numbers that descend that I object to. The house is less than ten years old
and there is not one iota of damp in it although it is quite low lying and
my driveway is one of the lowest points in the village - turns into quite a
river durng bad rainstorms.

My neighbour had the real problem with them camping under her furniture but
she can't work out why and Rentokil can't answer that either.

Do the groundfloors of your houses have wooden floors ? (I mean,
underneath the carpet, laminate or whatever else shows in the rooms) I'm
wondering if the driveway river has let water get trapped in the
subfloor cavity. Something similar happened to a friend. They had a good
dampcourse, so the plastered walls inside the rooms stayed dry and there
was no sign at all, at groundfloor room level, of the longterm flood in
the subfloor. When she was selling it and lifted a hatch for a surveyor,
she found a couple of feet of water :-(.

Janet.