Old 06-05-2004, 12:05 AM
Janet Baraclough..

Default Using or composting horse manure in raised veggie beds

The message
from "Robert" contains these words:

"Tim Nicholson" wrote in message
: Me again.......
:
: Since I feel like I'm on a bit of a roll with this newsgroup at
: present, here's another one for you. A neighbour has offered me some
: horse manure. Quite a lot of it, as it happens. As we're building some
: new raised vegetable beds, would it be OK to dump about a 4 - 6" deep
: layer in the bottom, which would then be covered by a mixture of
: topsoil and compost (about a further 10")

Great yes pile it on, the thicker the better. In a few years time you can
miss a dose of manure and lime it instead and watch the crops amaze you then
:

I wouldn't use manure in any beds where you plan to grow carrots or
parsnips this year.

Janet