Old 06-05-2004, 02:03 AM
Bert

Default Bamboo near my pond...ideas please

Hi Kathy,

It depends......

If the soil aroung the pond is well drained then the bamboo will survive if
you select a variety for you climate.

What type of pond?

If it is lined with the flexible pond liner then the pond will not survie
the bamboo. If you plant a runner it will pucture the plastic liner. If
you plant a clumper it will expand and eventually destroy the pond. To keep
your bamboo from hurting your pond you will need a barrier. Most of the
plastic barrier material sold today is made for trees and will only provide
bamboo containment for a relative short period ( 5 to 15 years). The best
barrier for long term containment of bamboo is reinforced concrete. For
runners a 4" trench cut with a trencher will surfice. for the clumpers you
will need 12" of concrete. (Clumpers do not spread but they do expand and
can put tremendous pressure on the barrier.

HTH

--
Bert Silverman
MidAtlantic Bamboo

"WilsonKKW" wrote in message
I hand an above ground pool removed18'x15', and a pond installed, complete

with
waterfall. pond 10'x11', with 2' water fall, this is contained within a
flagstone patio.
Would bamboo survive near pond? yet stay confined inside the patio area?
thanks for you thoughts
Kathy