Old 06-05-2004, 02:04 AM
TR

Default Diatom Filter or H.O.T. Magnum

"Rick" wrote in message

that is interesting Tom. I just checked the paper that was wrapped around

my
Micron Cartridge and there is no such information. As a coincidence I have
been swapping emails with one of their Customer Service Rep's. over

problems
I was having with my H.O.T unit and asked him about it. His reply was that
if you have a filter that has those instructions in it then it is old and

mean old stock. According to him they stopped including those instructions
10 years ago when it became known that diatom powder was a carcinogen in
airborne state.

Rick

Well, thats interesting....!
I just ordered this from Big Al's. I suppose it could be old stock, but I
would think that would be more likely to happen if I was buying from an LFS
that didn't see much turn over, not from a mail order site like Big Al's.
The box the Magnum came in has ©2002 on it, so I think that must be fairly
recent. The filter I can't tell, but certainly the packaging appears recent.
How reliable is your Rep? How long has he been with Marineland? Perhaps he
thought you were trying to make a case for choosing a diatom filter over a
Magnum and just tried to dissuade you?
Who knows. Certainly alot of diatom filters on the market, and the media
readily available. Seems odd for Marineland to take such a
'carcinogen...don't use it' stance. I may contact Big Als and see what they
have to say.
Well, I have no plans at this point to use diatom powder, but I do have the
instructions if I ever feel the need :-) The micron cartridge worked very
well. My biggest gripe is with the micro bubbles the Magnum puts out. The
water LOOKS cloudy but it's not. Turn off the magnum for a while and it
looks great. The micro bubbles are spewing continuously. Trying to reset the
seals and use silicon lube, 'burping', etc. no luck yet.