Old 06-05-2004, 10:16 AM
Caroline

Default Soil improvement-Worldwide?

When I arrived at uk.rec.gardening, not long ago, I read many of the
posts and replied to several. I did it in good faith thinking we are
gardeners talking the same language.
It would seem that I was mistaken. I find that interesting...
I would like to discuss the possibility of improving soil everywhere.

If
it is not possible or acceptable here can anyone tell me where it is
acceptable? Tell me where it is acceptable and I will go there. I hope

that
many of you will join me in improving soil everywhere.
Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada

Gary I think the point is that we must be very clear about our climate or
nobody can help us. I live in the Netherlands and my climate is the same as
at least some parts of the UK.
I read the charter shortly after arriving here and understood the message.
So I do not bother anyone with questions about where can I buy? because I
know I will have to figure that out for myself. Or take the boat to the UK.
Use a bit of common sense and all will be fine. No use in dragging all sorts
of countries into the discussion.

Thanks to what I learned in this group and one nl group, this week I planted
two rhododendrons in my garden. Dug a hole, tossed in a coffee filter (had
to make the coffee just for the occasion because I don't drink it myself)
and a banana peel (not sure about it but figured, food is food) and the
coffee, since I am not drinking it. Planted the rhododendron on top, watered
them and added leaf stuff around it. Some of it half mulch, I have always
tossed the leaves because I did not realise how useful they would be but it
is never too late to start. That will improve the soil and keep the weeds
away.
And felt pretty good about it because it is my favorite plant and I think it
is off at a good start. Then I wondered if I should have teased the roots
but figured, let's just leave it I am sure that nature knows what to do
next.

Caroline