Old 06-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Rick

Default Diatom Filter or H.O.T. Magnum

"TR" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Rick" wrote in message
I know nothing about the guy except he answered by query to the Company.
This is my 3rd H.O.T Magnum. I also get the small bubbles however my

problem
with the other two was the unit purging the water from inside the filter
only leaving about half and this then causes noisy operation and lots of

big
bubbles. Pain in the neck. The silicone did not work for me however I

did
get a laugh when the "Rep" suggested in a previous exchange that I use

the
small tube and if that was not enough to buy more at the Hardware store

and
use copious quantities. He said that the problem is the D ring which

does
not seal properly. I told him that if I had to use copious quantities

of
silicone then I would suggest they have a manufacturing defect in their
product. The new one works fine with the exception of the small bubbles.

Hmmm, thats disappointing to hear about your bubble problem, and lack of
solution. If it wasn't for that myself, I'd be thinking I have found the
perfect filter. It really irks me that the tank is actually quite clean,

but
looks so cloudy due to the bubbles. If I can't resolve it, I'll be buying
another filter (shhh, don't tell my wife), maybe a rena Filstar 204 or
something similar. I'll keep the magnum for its ease of use and micron
filtering, but not as my primary filter. I've lubed the D ring, and the
inlet o-rings, so far not enough to make an improvement. It also bothers

me
that the D-ring seats in a channel on the LID of the unit, rather than in

channel on the canister. Heck, if you don't have a lot of silicone lube on
the D-ring its likely to fall out as you try to place the top back on the
canister. Seems like the channel ought to be on the canister.
I think the Magnum has a lot going for it, but a few design quirks keep it
from being as good as it could be, IMHO.

yeah I agree. My D ring constantly falls out when putting this thing
together. They are handy though and easy to move from tank to tank. I
borrowed a System 1 diatom filter from a friend and this little unit is
amazing. Much easier to use than a Vortex. Hangs on the tank and can be
easily moved from tank to tank. I had quite a bit of free floating algae in
my 77 heavily planted tank. Hooked this think up and it was amazing how
clear the water was within an hour. The next day I used it in my fish room.
Charged it with 5 tbls of diatom powder and did 10 x 10g tanks using the
same charge. Nice little unit.

Rick