Old 06-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Ros Butt

Default Bay Tree in a pot - looking sad - what to do?

I've had the same problem, my tree is about 4 years old, and 3 1/2 feet
high and never been pruned, so I really went to town on it at the weekend
so find out the cause:

I inspected it thoroughly and found it had scale, so I've taken off all of
the infected leaves.

It needed pruning - did that.

Then took it out of the pot, found it also to be pot bound, (the pot is 15
inches diameter) so I shall repot it when I can find a suitable pot. (we
are surrounded by garden centres, most of which concentrate more on selling
books and smelly gifts rather than things that are necessary for
gardening!)

I am now keeping a better eye on it and have promised not to neglect it
again. I feel so ashamed - I just hope that there isn't a 'cruelty to
plants' organisation, I feel that I shall be hung, drawn & quartered!!!

Ros
Hi,

I have a Bay Tree in a pot. I have had it for three years. The first
year its leaves were plentiful, green and healthy looking. Its been
pruned into a standard. It is about 4ft tall, the trunk is about 1.5 to
2 inches thick, so I guess is was quite mature when I got it.

Now, the leaves are yellowing, some are falling off. It does have some
flower buds on at the moment, but alas it still looks sad!

I am considering what to do with it:

(1) Maybe just replace the compost?
(2) Maybe a bigger pot? - the one I have it in is about 18 inches
diameter, 18 inches deep.
(3) Or maybe I just need to feed it with something that Bay tree's
respond well to?

If anyone could suggest how I might try to revive it, I would be very
pleased.

Thanks,

Paul.

Chichester