Old 06-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Vox Humana

Default How to get rid of dandelions

"Brigitte J." wrote in message

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
news

Hound wrote in message
I finally called a lawn service two weeks ago. My lawn full of

dandelions
was completely devoid of the yellow flowers and seed heads two days

after
they sprayed it, and a week later there was no sign of the weed at

all.

The lawn service aerated my lawn three days ago and after a good

watering,
the grass is greener and fuller than I have ever seen it.

They will return in another two weeks to treat for crabgrass.

Unless ALL your near-by neighbors con troll the dandelions and

crabgrass
in
their yards, your chances of controlling them in your lawn by just

pulling
them, especially in a larger yard, are next to nil.

You can use less toxic pre-emergent herbicides to prevent weeds from
starting. Along with good cultural practices that promote a dense,

healthy
turf, this should keep your nighbors' weeds from getting established in

your
yard, all but eliminating the need to use post-emergents or physical
removal.

Hi Vox,
Can you recommend one?

Most of the "step one" turf builders have a pre-emergent herbicide. Look
for labels that say they "prevent" weeds. I believe that Scott's turf
builder with Halts is a pre-emergent. It inhibits seeds from germinating
(like Preen). It won't kill existing weeds, so you will have to deal with
the ones that are already there. After that, you can prevent 99% of them
with the pre-emergent treatment and spot treat the couple that pop up here
and there.