Old 06-05-2004, 08:07 PM
Rez

Default tomato weather question

In article fc.003d094101c479d23b9aca00e4116b80.1c47a10@pmug. org,
(Glenna Rose) wrote:
I plant both early and late. Whether the tomato plants set out earlier
bear significantly better (two or more weeks) is totally dependent on the
weather as well as soil conditions, water and sunshine. There is a
guideline I heard several years ago - by June 1st, you cannot tell which
plants were set out in March, April or May. Though mine go into the
garden in various sizes and at various times, that guideline seems to
pretty much bear out.

I have two here in pots, different varieties, which we got at a garden
show about 6 weeks back. They've been sitting outside in partial shade
(hot desert sun will cook potted plants otherwise) with no care other
than water every couple days, in temps varying from 40F to 100F.
They were originally the same size (likely all the seeds were planted
at the same time, as this was a bulk giveaway thing). One grew faster
for a bit and bloomed first. The other was smaller at first, but all
of a sudden it is the bigger, bushier plant, and it is starting to
bloom and dangle roots out the bottom of the pot, while the one that
*was* bigger is now a little behind.

I think the diff may be that one is a hot weather variety, and the
other would prefer cooler weather, as it did better then, and now that
we're hitting 100F, the 2nd one is happier.

(One is "Champion" and I can't remember what the other is, or for that
matter which one was which.)

~REZ~