Old 06-05-2004, 09:03 PM
zxcvbob

Default How to get rid of dandelions

lid wrote:

Hound,
Do you know what chemical the lawn service sprayed in your lawn to get
rid of dandelions?

For me, this is turning out to be a serious problem. I am afraid that
these things will end up killing all the grass.

Thanks.

They use 2,4-d or something chemically very similar to it. I can smell
the stuff when the lawn services do my neighbors' lawns. And it doesn't
kill grass from the overspray like Round-up does.

I use 2,4-d in a spray bottle and squirt each dandelion or thistle with
it. The goal is to use a little 2,4-d as I can get by with and still
get the job done. Granules or a hose-on sprayer put down way too much
poison in my opinion. Usually one application in the spring is all I
need for a year; the grass can compete after that.

If you really have a lot of dandelions to do, use a pump-up sprayer.
But be careful what you use that sprayer for once you've put weed killer
in it.

Bob