Old 07-05-2004, 12:09 AM
Stephen Howard

Default Using or composting horse manure in raised veggie beds

On Thu, 06 May 2004 22:37:09 +0100, Tim Nicholson
wrote:

On Wed, 5 May 2004 23:01:18 +0100, Janet Baraclough..
wrote:

I wouldn't use manure in any beds where you plan to grow carrots or
parsnips this year.

Is that just for reasons of 'taste' - or something more fundamental
altogether? Most of the manure I'll be putting at the bottom of the
beds has been rotted down for a good four or five months already, will
that make a difference?

It's said that a highly manured soil will cause carrots to fork ( the
root splits into several 'legs', resulting in amusingly shaped veg -
now not so popular with the demise of That's Life and its penchant for
'rude veg' ) - however, I've sown carrots on a deep bed filled with a
50/50 mix of sieved manure and soil and had a crop that practically
rocketed down ( and pulled up as easy as anything! ).

It's probably wise not to use fresh manure - but then you wouldn't
anyway, it would always lead to scorching of the plants.

I rather suspect that the presence of stones in the soil has a more
profound effect, probably more so if your soil is a heavy one ( as
mine is ) The carrot beds I knocked up in haste in previous years
always threw up weirdly shaped veg ( still tasty, and fun too! ).

I reckon your manure will be fine.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk