Old 07-05-2004, 01:03 AM
Lynne

Default HELP HELP HELP

Thank you both, Kenni and Matthew for your advice. It doesn't look like it
need re-potting. I thought it was secured with pieces of wood but my
neighbor looked at it and he said it looked like coconut shells. Whatever
it is, it definitely is not soil of any description.

The one thing I have noticed is that, unlike soil, it does not retain water
so I am watering it every other day. It seems to dry out pretty quickly.

The light source is from the window as opposed to a skylight in the roof.
The plant is kept inside the house. Most of the leafs are a dark color but
I have noticed in the last couple of weeks that a few of the leaves are
lightening up in color going more towards a yellow color. I thought maybe
they were dying.

I am actually in North Alabama.

I am sure my questions sound silly, but I am excited about these new shoots,
especially considering my husband was convinced it would die. I just don't
want to risk it dying now especially since it is throwing out new growth.

Lynne

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Lynne: These "shoots" are new growths for the plant as a whole. You

need
3-4 of them [a couple of old ones, 1 new one] to make a decent division.
So please, go hide the cutters where it will take you a long time to find
them!!!

IF the plant [not just some stray roots, but the actual growths of the
plant] are starting to grow outside of the pot, then you might want to

give
it a bigger one, but that doesn't require cutting. If the plant is in

lava
rock, you can just remove the old pot, put the whole thing into a SLIGHTLY
larger pot and fill around. If it's in bark, moss, or something else that
goes bad, you should remove the old mix and use all fresh. If you have

new
growth coming, and it sounds like you do, this is a good time to do that.

Folks vary in their descriptions of light -- by my definition, if your
bathroom has a roof on it that is not 100% skylight, it is NOT full sun.
Watch your leaf color, you do not want it to get to be deep forest green.
You didn't say where you were, but I suspect that if you do keep the plant
inside, you will need to nudge it closer to the light source.

Good growing, Kenni

"Lynne" wrote in message
My bathroom is probably the lightest room in the house. Virtually all

one
wall is window and gets full sun for most of the day. The plant is

just
the side of the window where it gets the light but is not directly hit

with
the sun.

Will I need to take off the shoots when they get bigger, and if so,

about
how big. Now I have got it this far I want to nurture it to full beauty

but
don't want to do anything to risk damaging it or killing it.

Thank you for your advice. It is very much appreciated.