Old 07-05-2004, 03:04 AM
Bill Oliver

Default Name that tree

In article ,
Mike LaMana fake@MikeatHeartwoodConsultingdotnet wrote:
Sounds like Paulownia tomentosa. The only other candidate that comes to mind
would be the Robinia x hispid or neomexicana and cultivars...but you'd never
see them en masse in the hills. Planted landscapes only.

I think it's the Poulownia. I Googled on Robinia, though, and it is a pretty
plant -- I am looking for something showy and generally that
color to line a long driveway and separate microenvironments in a large
yard. I just bought a house on 5 acres on a hill that is divided
equally between a poorly maintained lawn and uncleared brush/forest.
I'm planning on breaking the land into small microenvironments
separated by high borders with one fairly large but manageable lawn.
Thus I'm looking for interesting plants to form high barriers along the
major paths.

As I noted in a different post, most of the sites seemed to frown on
using Paulownia in landscaping, though I am not sure why. The Robinia
looked nice -- and as a tall shrub rather than tree I'm wondering if it
can be formed into a decent hedge. Do you know?

billo